Do you have one of those dads that will eat anything? And I don’t just mean leftovers from mom’s Monday Meatloaf. The sort of hungry dad I speak of will consume all products from his young daughter’s (sometimes questionable) cooking adventures.
Flat, hopeless nutella cookies? Absolutely. Vegan bran muffins from a trial-and-error recipe adapted from several different, wiser bakers? With chopped apples, carrots, molasses and more? Yes, friends. Even these.
Dad Bran Muffins
1 cup wheat bran
1 1/4 – 1 1/2 cups whole wheat flour (Krisla and I were back and forth here)
1/4 cup turbinado sugar
1/4 cup dark brown sugar (feel free to go for 1/2 cup of either; remember, experimental)
1/4 cup flaxmeal
1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp baking soda
1 tbsp baking powder
1 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp ginger
1/2 tsp nutmeg (I just recently got some spices…)
1/4 cup almond milk
1 tbsp molasses
1 tsp vanilla
1/2 cup applesauce
1/2 an apple, finely chopped or shredded (again, flexible)
about 1/3 cup carrots, finely chopped or shredded
1/2 cup ish raisins
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Naturally.
2. Combine flour, sugar, salt, spices, baking soda and powder. AKA most of the dry ingredients. Mix ’em good, though an electric beater doodle isn’t wholly necessary; I used a whimpy whisk with success.
3. Dump in your bran. Here’s to improved digestion!
4. If you don’t pre-mix your flaxmeal (or egg substitute), toss it and the almond milk in sequentially. They are codependent binding fellows.
5. Add molasses. Stir it up.
6. Get that vanilla in there.
7. Applesauce, next, should appropriately moisten and hold together this vegan, branny mixture.
8. Fold in the fruits and veggies of chopped apples and carrots.
9. Raisins top it off. Well, they aren’t on top. They get mixed in.
10. Pour or, more so scoop batter into greased cupcake/muffin pan. Bake at 375 for 20-25 minutes. Mine were quite swell at just 20, but I enjoy a slight under baking when I can afford it (i.e. vegan situations), especially with bran things which tend to dry out a bit.
Enjoy with your pa. Mine takes them with his morning coffee!