We all need a break sometimes. A vacation of some sort. Or even just a day where all you do is curl up on the couch and watch romantic comedies and reruns of “How I Met Your Mother” while eating ice cream and chicken nuggets. Man, I love chicken nuggets. I seriously crave them constantly… But I digress.
I need a break. The pressure of school + MCATs + applying for med schools + constant disappointments has been bearing down on me the past few weeks and it’s been hard to handle. So much so, that the thought of quitting has crossed my mind a couple times. But this is my dream. And I have to at least try, right? Plus, I’m no quitter. Heck no.
My break came when Mike visited a couple weekends ago for sort of a belated Valentine’s Day. It was great to just hang out with him and the family, go to the beach, and out to dinner. I haven’t felt so relaxed since Christmas break! One of the highlights of the weekend was going on the Theo chocolate tour in Fremont. It was such an interesting and informative experience, and you get to try tons of chocolate while you’re there. We ended up buying a box of chocolates to bring home, too! How pretty are they?
During his visit, we also made these S’mores Brownie Bars. They are simply amazing and will brighten up any bad day (or week/month). I’ve been wanting to make these for Mike for a while because I know he loves s’mores. He definitely loved these brownies. I mean who wouldn’t? I bet that vegan named Bette Jane would even love it if she wasn’t, you know, vegan. There’s a graham cracker crust, topped with a fudgy brownie layer, and covered with toasted melty and gooey marshmallows. Mhmmm.
Mike sure looks like he’s enjoying it! He said it’s one of his favorite baked goods that I’ve made. By the way… that skinny dipping scene is in the background is the one and only Edward Cullen and Bella Swan in Breaking Dawn,which I totally wasn’t watching. I swear. Also, the thumbs up is for the brownies… I hope.
Take a little break and make these brownies. They’re a bit nostalgic; s’mores bring me back to the days where there was no such thing as stress.
Okay, back to this homework assignment I have due tomorrow.
S’mores Brownie Bars
adapted slightly from mybakingaddiction
Makes an 8×8 pan, ~16 servings
Total prep time: ~1 hour
- 1.5 cups of finely crushed graham crackers
- 6 tbsp of melted unsalted butter
- 8 tbsp of butter
- 4 oz of unsweetened chocolate
- 1 heaping cup of granulated sugar
- 1 tsp of vanilla extract
- 1/4 tsp of salt
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup of flour
- 20 (or enough to cover the top) large marshmallows, cut in half
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Mix the melted butter and crushed graham crackers together until the graham crackers are moist. Press this mixture into a foil or parchment paper lined 8×8 pan. Bake for ~7 min and then remove and let cool.
- While the crust is baking, make the brownie layer! Turn up the oven heat to 400 degrees while the crust cools.
- Melt the butter and chocolate together in a double boiler, stirring well until smooth.
- Take off the heat and add in sugar, vanilla, and salt. Add in one egg at a time, mixing well (make sure the chocolate mixture isn’t too hot, or else you’ll scramble the eggs). Add in the flour and mix until well combined and smooth.
- Pour the brownie mixture over the top of the crust and bake for ~17-20 minutes.
- Once done, take out the brownies and cover the top with the marshmallows, sticky side down. Broil in the oven until toasted. This happens very quickly (about 2 minutes), so watch carefully!
- Let it cool slightly (if you can resist) and cut into squares.
- Serve with ice cream! We just took a spoon and ate right out of the pan once it came out of the oven. We burned our mouths, but we just couldn’t wait.